Monday, March 22, 2010

March 17 – Submarine Day


I am not sure whey this day is Submarine day, I found all sorts of sites celebrating submarine day, but I couldn’t find an answer. I am 99% sure that they (whoever “they” are) are referring to the big underwater boat…not the sandwich. Sad news because I was going to use this as an excuse to go to Jimmy John’s...mmm LOVE IT! This is the extent of the information I could find on this day…

A submarine is a vessel designed for underwater operations that can still sail on the water's surface. Aristotle described a submersible used in 332 B.C. by the sailors of Alexander The Great. There is also evidence that a primitive sub was built around 200 B.C. in China. It was centuries later before the first real sub was built in 1620 by a Dutchman (of wood encased in leather). From these beginnings, we have progressed to the nuclear powered subs that sail today.

So take some time and enjoy on of my favorite songs of all time…





Oh and if you want, you CAN send an E-card for Submarine day: http://www.greetingcards.com/d/holidays/april/national_submarine_day/cat_15143.html

No comments:

Post a Comment