Thursday, October 1, 2009

October 1 – International Day of Older Persons

This is a holiday started by the United Nations in 1990. The theme for this year was "Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of the International Year of Older Persons: Towards a Society for All Ages".

Their official website is: http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/ageing/whatsnew.html

I decided today to reflect on “Older Persons” who have touched my life and came up with a very clear answer…My Grandma…Pink Grandma…Bertha Meyer.

My Grandma was the best grandma in the entire world. I am sure a lot of people think that theirs is the best and I am sure they have the best grandma for them, but for me there is no better grandma in the world then Pink Gram!

Pink Grandma taught me so much about life and how to live it. It was very clear to see what was important to her by the way she lived her life: God, family, community, and living life to the fullest. My Grandma went white water rafting with all of us at a family reunion in Colorado when she was 80 years old. She drove a red convertible that had a personalized license plate “PNK GRM”. She also had a cell phone and lap top computer. She loved watching football and playing golf. She was known to stay out playing cards with her friends until well past midnight.


Grandma always came to Grandparents Day’s, sports games, recitals, birthdays, and backyard cookouts. I feel so blessed to have a grandma that was so involved in my life. I love that we had traditions: red velvet cake from Grandma on birthdays, peanut butter balls at Christmas, certain jobs to help prepare the Thanksgiving meal which was eaten around the ping pong table and always followed by a walk on the Grand Haven Pier. Rousing games of cards, Spoons, or Taboo were always played, which were very loud and full of laughter.

Laughter, my Grandma had the best laugh, and I was able to hear it often. She was always laughing. I loved when she would tell stories and be laughing so hard she was crying and I could barely understand her.

I miss my Grandma every single day. I hope that I can bring as much to those around me as she did. She was a very proud resident of Grand Haven, Michigan, always volunteering in her community, always putting God and family first, and laughing her way through life.

Enjoy the “Older Persons” in your life, learn from them and don’t take one moment for granted.

I love you Grandma, and I miss you so much!



4 comments:

  1. Awesome tribute to our Pink Grandma. She was definitely a special lady and your comments about her are right on the money. Funny that you commented on her laughing so hard you couldn't even understand her. I loved that about her too and also miss her everyday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful comments Michelle - brought a tear to my eyes. I miss her everyday as well. Always enjoyed stopping in Grand Haven and taking her out for coffee and muffins. There are a lot of beautiful memories. She was a great influence on all you kids and a role model for me - thanks for the memories - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet Michelle :). At most I saw Grandma twice a year. One of the reasons I have moved back to Arizona is so that my kids will have their grandparents around. I missed out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. Pink Grandma defined the term "grandma" for me and probably everyone that met her. She had all the characteristics of what you would expect a grandma to have, plus some. She was hilarious, cute, thoughtful and hip, and I loved her like my own grandma, even in the few years I knew her. It's not the same without her, especially during the holidays. We miss her, too!

    ReplyDelete