Here is a tiny history on what this day and what German-Americans have contributed to society:
- The annual date of German-American Day is based on the arrival on October 6, 1683, of the settlers of Germantown, PA, German immigration predates 1683.
- The first great victory for freedom of the press in America occurred in 1735 when a jury found John Peter Zenger, a German-American printer and journalist, justified in criticizing the colonial government.
- A Philadelphia German- language newspaper was the first to report the Declaration of Independence.
- Albert Einstein
- John Jacob Bausch (Bausch & Lomb)
- William Edward Boeing
- Babe Ruth
- Charles M. Schultz (writer of Peanuts Comic)
For a more complete list you can go to: http://german.about.com/library/blfam_geramABC.htm