Thursday, January 7, 2010

January 7 – Old Rock Day


Luckily, I am now related to a rock expert! My brother-in-law, Luke, is a graduate from University of Michigan with a degree in Geology. Jared called him today to ask him some questions about rocks…here is what we discovered:

  •  The oldest rocks are Igneous and Metamorphic
  • The oldest rocks can be found in Australia and date back 2.5-3.8 billion years
  • “Rocks are cool” (that is a direct quote)
  • Luke’s favorite rock: Gneiss (pictured above)
  • Diamonds are NOT rocks…they are minerals, but diamonds are found in Kimberlights (which is a rock)
 I hope I have expanded your rock knowledge.

Jared and I got to thinking, in the rock world an OLD rock has to be pretty old. So treat them with respect…they may look tough, but they are eroding away everyday!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment