Sunday, January 24, 2010

January 24 – Peanut Butter Day!

Originally called Nutmeal, peanut butter has only been around for 100 years. But, it's a staple in 85% of American homes, and we eat about 3 pounds of peanut butter per person each year ... that's a total of 700 million pounds - enough to coat the floor of the Grand Canyon!


Peanut butter how I love the way you stick the roof of my mouth and prevent me from talking, or the fact that every time I put you on something, no matter how careful I am you get all over my fingers…oh the memories!

I have a few distinct memories that involve this favorite snack…

First of all when I was very small I would go to my friend’s house before and after preschool, our favorite snack was a scoop of peanut butter! One time I went back for seconds…that’s right I took 2 scoops of peanut butter! My friend, who shall remain nameless thought that this was an unforgivable act and ran into the other room…only to come running towards me with crazy eyes...scissors raised high in the air…That’s right people she chopped my hand open with scissors because I took an extra scoop of the delicious sticky butter tasting of peanuts! - I had to go to the Dr. and get stitches – I still have the scar to prove it. We are still very good friends…she doesn’t like me to bring it up, but after many years of therapy I now find it quite funny.

I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, when I was on Semester At Sea; I lived off of toasted PB & J’s for about 3 months. It was amazing!

I also love JIF peanut butter; I definitely think that choosy mom’s choose JIF. However, I am not a mom yet…and choosy moms may choose it, but I am cheap and I choose the one that costs about 1/3 as much as JIF. I long for the day when I can throw a big jar of JIF in my cart without a second thought.

If you haven’t ever heard this song before…it’s a classic. It has been on numerous TV shows and such, Jared had never heard it….big surprise…so here is it for all of you. I know today is Peanut Butter Day NOT peanut butter & jelly day, but they go hand in hand, it is one of peanut butter’s great talents, the way that it mixes with any flavor of jelly!

No comments:

Post a Comment