Sunday, December 20, 2009

December 20 – Mudd Day

At first I thought this day was about mud (the dirt); I was thinking WOW two holidays honoring mud…I never realized how important it was! Then I did a little research and discovered the real MUDD of the day:

Samuel Mudd was born on this day in 1833. I am not so sure I want to celebrate this day, so we are just going to call this an Educational Day not a Holiday.

Here are the basics:
Samuel Mudd was a Doctor in Maryland and a supporter of the Confederacy. He was associated with John Wilkins Booth, and was convicted of giving him medical attention and helping him to escape authorities after Lincoln was shot. He received a life sentence in June 1865, but was pardoned by Andrew Jackson in 1869. He eventually died of pneumonia in 1883.

If you would like to read more you can check out this website:
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USACWmudd.htm

Duke was sad to learn the truth about this day…he had been hoping to play in some mud he found at the park today.

No comments:

Post a Comment