Sunday, December 13, 2009

December 10 – Human Rights Day

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on December 10, 1948 without a dissenting vote is the first multinational declaration mentioning human rights by name, and the human rights movement has largely adopted it as a charter.

The basic rights and freedoms that all humans should be guaranteed, such as the right to life and liberty, freedom of thought and expression, and equality before the law.

For this day I am happy to say I live in the USA. No we are not perfect, I don’t know of a place that is, but we are trying. I don’t believe there are many places where you can bash the leader of your country on TV or in the paper, or say that you hate how everything in the country is done, and still be given all the benefits of living there.

Basic human rights – life – seems like it should be an easy thing, but it’s not. I am so glad that I am alive, have food, shelter, and so much more then I could ever need.

I had the privilege to visit Mother Teresa’s orphanage in India...that woman was amazing! It was an experience I will never forget.  I hope that I can make an impact on the world in my life even if it is 1% of her impact it would be great!

Today I am taking time to value my rights as a human and thinking about how I can make an impact to help others have these same rights. Thank you to all the Human Right Leaders who have graced this earth and to all those in the making!

No comments:

Post a Comment