Friday, February 26, 2010

February 24 – National Tortilla Chip Day

Tortilla Chips weren’t even invented in Mexico! I was flabbergasted when I learned!

“Tortilla chips were invented by Rebecca Webb Carranza in Los Angeles in the 1940's as a way to use misshaped tortillas that came out of an automated tortilla machine. These rejected tortillas were cut into triangles, fried, and sold for a dime a bag by the El Zarape Tortilla Factory. They became immensely popular and in 1994, Carranza received the Golden Tortilla Award for her contribution to the Mexican food industry.”

Golden Tortilla Award…who knew!

Oh tortilla chips – you are so addicting, so yummy, so mmmm especially when mixed with yummy red salsa or cheese!

Jared could down an entire bag of tortilla chips in a day without being told it was some kind of challenge, just if I put a bag out…it could happen.

I believe these little chips of yumminess have created a major problem for Mexican restaurants. When I go there I eat the chips and drink a Pepsi…and I’m full. I don’t even have to order regular food – great for me, not so good for the restaurant. I have always been told I am a cheap date, I like hanging out and doing things that don’t cost much, I never eat that much at one time – so a big meal is never an expense. One time I went out to Mexican with my sister and brother-in-law and I did my normal routine of eating chips and drinking a Pepsi and being full. To this day they still laugh at my “One Chip and Pepsi” meal. – I believe it was far more then one chip…

Enjoy your Tortilla Chips today! My sister went out for Mexican today to celebrate and sent me a picture of her eating Tortillas…



Just to clarify...I have 2 sisters, Erin & Katie, but I use "my sister" for both of them - so just picture whichever one you want when I say "my sister" - most likely if it wasn't the one you picked it very well could have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment