Monday, November 23, 2009

November 23 – Fibonacci Day



F_n = F_{n-1} + F_{n-2} with seed values F_0 = 0 and F_1 = 1

To those of you having horrific flashbacks to high school and college math classes; take a deep breath I will put that in “normal people” terms.

I myself…believe it or not, was not a math wiz. Sure in elementary I was, I was doing 5th grade math in 4th grade....Oh yeah, I was practically a genius! Somewhere between 5th grade and college I fell off the “Math bandwagon” and have never made the climb back on – to solve this problem I married a genius.

Today I told Jared what day it was and he was like, “Oh yeah, Fibonacci, the math sequence” – he continually amazes me with the facts and figures he has stored in his head.

Ok so here it is: the Fibonacci Sequence is where the 2 numbers in front of the 3rd number when added equal the third number….WOW that wasn’t as easy to type as I thought…here, let someone else explain it:

“this basically means that you start with a 0 and a 1 and each number after that is the sum of the two previous numbers” (www.fibonacciday.org – yes it is a real website I promise.)

Here is the beginning of the sequence: 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21…..

So can you figure out why TODAY is Fibonacci Day?

Fibonacci History:

The Fibonacci Sequence is named for Fibonacci (whose proper name was Leonardo di Pisa) who introduced the sequence to western mathematics in 1202 with his book, Liber Abaci, though Indian mathematicians had acknowledged the sequence much earlier, possibly as early as 200bc. (www.fibonacciday.org)

Today is Fibonacci Day because it is: 11-23 or the first part of the sequence 1,1,2,3

Happy FIBONACCI DAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment