Wednesday, November 11, 2009

November 11 – Veteran’s Day

President Dwight D. Eisenhower issued the first Veterans Day Proclamation in 1954. Veteran’s Day is on November 11 to honor the end of World War I in 1918, at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month. Today used to be known as Armistice Day (beginning in 1938) to recognize people who served in World War II and the Korean War. President Eisenhower changed it to Veteran’s Day so that, as he said, “a grateful nation might pay appropriate homage to the veterans of all its wars who have contributed so much to the preservation of this nation." This day is to "solemnly remember the sacrifices of all those who fought so valiantly, on the seas, in the air, and on foreign shores, to preserve our heritage of freedom, and let us re-consecrate ourselves to the task of promoting an enduring peace so that their efforts shall not have been in vain." (President Eisenhower’s Speech, 1954).


There are over 48 million men and women have served in the US Armed Forces since the beginning of our great nation. Today take a moment and honor those who fought for all the freedoms we have today.

To those of you who have or are serving, I say:

Thank you. Words cannot express the gratitude I have for you and what you do. The sacrifices you and your family make every day are extremely honorable and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I love the United States; I love living here and all the things I do everyday that I take for granted. Thank you for fighting for those freedoms. Please know that you have all of my support and I am proud of each and everyone of you. I feel honored to live in a country where you are or have served. Thank you, you are continually in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment