Monday, May 24, 2010

May 20 – Eliza Doolittle Day

At First I thought we were going to get to try to talk to animals today…that’s the only Doolittle I know. Then I stumbled across this…

Today is Eliza Doolittle Day, which is most likely a meaningless event for anyone but film buffs and Audrey Hepburn fans. For the uninitiated of the musical and film adaptation of George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion, this holiday is derived the scene in which Eliza, angered at her teacher, fantasized about the day she'll have her revenge:

One day I'll be famous, I'll be proper and prim,
Gone to St. James so often I will call it St. Jim.

One evening the King will say, "Oh, Liza, old thing,*
I want all of England your praises to sing.

Next week on the twentieth of May, da-da-da-da-da-da-DA,
I proclaim Eliza Doolittle Day!

All the people will celebrate the glory of you,
And whatever you wish or want I gladly shall do."
"Thanks a lot, King," says I in a manner well-bred,
"But all I want is 'enry 'iggins 'ead!" dum-da-dum

No comments:

Post a Comment