Monday, September 28, 2009

Sept 28 – National Ask a Dumb Question Day

What makes a question dumb? I was always told there is no dumb question, which would make this day dumb in itself…I guess inviting the question why is there a day to ask dumb questions when there are no dumb questions?

I decided that for me a dumb question is one where the answer is so obvious you are just dumb if you don’t know the answer, and also a dumb question would be one where no one really cares about the answer. That is my definition you may have another way to distinguish a dumb question from a good one.

For example I heard a few dumb questions today:
1. Me asking Jared: Would you like me to make you M&M cookies today?
2. Jared asking Duke: Do you want to play?
3. People asking me: Oh, are you back from your trip? I understand sometimes you just say things like this, but really…that is a dumb question.

I searched for “dumb questions” on the internet, there are lists and lists that come up for you to spend hours starring at. Below are some of my favorites. I actually think some are quite brilliant and therefore not dumb questions – the answer is not obvious and I would like to know the answer- however, some are just dumb. Judge for yourself:


* How can there be self-help “groups?
* How did the man who invented cottage cheese know he was done?
* If a picture is worth a thousand words, what is a picture of a thousand words worth?
* If a turtle doesn’t have a shell is he homeless or naked?
* If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a song about him?
* If the #2 pencil is the most popular, why is it still #2?
* Since there is a speed of light and a speed of sound, is there a speed of smell?
* What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?
* What is a “free gift”? Aren’t all gifts free?
* Where does your lap go when you stand up?
* Where in the nursery rhyme does is say that Humpty Dumpty was an egg?
* In court, why do they ask if you swear to tell the truth? If you’re planning on lying, do they really think you’ll tell them so?

No comments:

Post a Comment